Sunday 15 June 2008

Ski Fitness - Core

I want to continue the ski fitness series by moving on to the core muscles. As with most sports, core strength is important in skiing for stability and balance. Having a solid core will enable you to maintain a strong position even when the terrain is trying to throw you off balance. This is especially true in bumps, crud or slush - all the difficult, uneven conditions really.

The core muscles are the abs and back. Various exercises for these go in and out of fashion - sit-ups and crunches are less popular at the moment for example. The current popular exercises are things like the plank, or the many Swiss-ball exercises. Also good are press-up variations (e.g. clapping your hands during press ups).

As with the legs, free weights are good for a range of muscles. Again, squats are a great starting point, and should be included in any weights programme for skiing. In fact, some would say squats are about the only exercise you need.

It really is up to you to find what works - there are many approaches to developing core strength. However, it is not to be ignored if you want to maximise your performance. The next fitness post will move up the body again to the arms.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog you guys have there!

    I especially dig the "how-to" type articles.

    I also am interested in the Arinsal ski area and Andorra in general.

    Do you mind if I add you blog to our "blogroll" in our site: http://homeboyski.com ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive feedback. It's nice to know people are reading out there :-)

    Thanks for the offer to put me on your blogroll - I would appreciate that. I've just added you to my Ski Links in return, and I'll definitely be spending some more time reading your site - you've got some great articles on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, thanks.

    And good hear you dig some of our stuff too...:)

    I think we must just improve our english writing a bit (too much typos/grammatic errors etc.)

    I will add your site to our blogroll asap

    -J

    ReplyDelete